Monday, January 26, 2009

Second Day in Florida

Today was a good day, mostly. I got up early with X (7am, sigh) and we read and sang and visited with Pops and then Em got up and did a dissertation interview over the phone and then we ate lunch on the back porch. We split up for the afternoon and Em and X went with J (Pop's girlfriend) to the Salvador Dali museum in St. Petersburg and Pops and I went to the marina, rented a boat and took it out to the Gulf of Mexico.

It was a gorgeous day and a lovely boat, which I got to drive once we were out of the difficult bits and in the open Gulf. According to my father, I did quite well driving the boat. Being out on the boat with my dad was interesting. I had wondered when he suggested earlier today that we split up and do this for the day if he wanted to talk to me by myself, and in fact, that may have been why he suggested it, but being my father, he is remarkably incapable of speaking about emotional or difficult things. Sad considering the man is a psychologist. My mother always spoke about this problem as the shoe makers children having no shoes. He's good with other people's emotions, just not his or ours.

According to Em, the museum was nice, although X was largely unimpresssed and needed a lot of attention in order not to have a small meltdown on the guided tour. We attempted to have dinner around 6:30pm, but X was totally done for the day and cried whenever we tried to sit him or ourselves down. He screamed and fought when I tried to nurse him, so I made the radically assumption that he wasn't hungry and was annoyed that I'd tried to silence him with food. Em walked him while I ate and then half way through dinner, he went insane and I left the table to try nursing again, and this time it worked and Em sat down for dinner and I fed him and we reheated my meal after he was done. He continued to be sad and whiny until we finally got him down after another nurse at 9pm. I think that this trip has been hard on him with all of the new things. Although he almost rolled over today, which was awesome. Another day, I'll tell you about how my child doesn't like sunshine.

No comments: