Saturday, January 17, 2009

Nana Comes Calling

My mother, X's Nana, came up to visit for part of the weekend. We first heard of this visit on Wednesday night, when she called to ask if we had plans or could she come up for the day on Saturday. This was later extended to include driving up Friday night (and I do mean night as she did not leave her house until 10pm.) I do like that my mother feels comfortable showing up for a day, sleeping on our inflatable mattress, sleeping until 12pm, playing with the baby, going out to a late lunch and dessert (we highly recommend the Chocolate Room), and then coming back to the house, playing with the baby a little more and then driving home. I get along well with my mother; she is one of my close friends, which has been true for most of my life.

What I find particularly nice is that Em feels comfortable with her showing up and staying over randomly. She does not get stressed about her mother-in-law showing up largely unannounced and does not feel the need to perform as she would to a house guest, except for helping feed her and giving her a bed as she would any person in our house.

Now I can only hope that we feel as comfortable when we are at my father and his girlfriend's house in Tampa for a week at the end of the month. We've never stayed at a place he has lived with his girlfriend, since he and my mother separated over two years ago. We will have to see how that goes. Look for many posts during the trip!

1 comment:

Lo said...

It's great to have a mom like that, and close by. My mom and I are close too (although as you may have read, our relationship is a little more complicated, I think).

My parents separated when I was in college (you know where!) and the whole process of accepting my father's gf (now wife) was NOT EASY. We should talk. Seriously.