Thursday, January 8, 2009

Oh, the Tired

I've been thinking about this "going back to work" thing, a lot. And until today, all this thinking has been about the emotions of it all. How I'm going to miss my baby and my time spent being with him and my day being all about him and so on and so forth. And then today happened. We took the bus to the "bourgie" neighborhood up one from ours and had Indian food for lunch and then walked the 16 blocks to the Coop and did our weekly grocery shop and then carried all $136 of groceries home in three handled bags on the bus and then walked the rest of the way home (while Emily carried the child in the Ergo) and we walked in the door and I walked to the basement and put in laundry and then came up the stairs and finished putting away the groceries and sat down for a minute, and COULD NOT GET UP.

So I have a new way of thinking about going back to work. I got used to being tired all the time physically when I was pregnant and working and I've gotten used to being tired all the time and staying home with the baby, but my goodness, I can't quite imagine how I'm going to handle being tired all the time while working and having the baby at home. I'm officially not thinking about that again for a few more days.

On a different note: We ended up not waking X up at 9:30am as planned, because we were too tired to get up then. He woke up at 10am by himself, although we gently encouraged him to stay awake and today wasn't a disaster. He slept for an hour before we went out for the day and then dozed in the Ergo pretty much the entire time we were out (2 hours) and then was pleasant for the rest of the afternoon and evening and went to sleep at 10pm and has been down since. So, it's official, we are NEVER waking him in the morning before he wants to be awake unless we absolutely have to.

No comments: