Wednesday, January 14, 2009

No More Newborn

X is 12 weeks old today. When we took our newborn care class (yes we took childbirth class, breastfeeding class and newborn care class: we are education nerds) the teacher told us that the first 12 weeks were the trial by fire, do whatever you need to to survive weeks. They were the newborn weeks.

I guess that means that I am no longer the mother of a newborn. I have become the mother of an infant. An infant who smiles and squeals with glea when we sit down to do our morning sing. An infant who discovered today that he can use his arms to push himself up very high indeed when he is on his belly, yelling and grunting the whole time, because he was putting so much effort in, but refusing to stop. An infant who still falls off the breast, milk rolling down his chin. I will miss my newborn, but this infant thing is awesome!

No comments: