Monday, November 2, 2009

We have too much money to be as poor as we are...

Turns out I was wrong about that whole qualifying for food stamps when my unemployment runs out in January thing. There is an asset test I was unaware of and we have just a bit too much saved. So there goes that small bit of help, although I suppose I should view it as a positive that we have money saved, which I do, but still...

There is legislation in the Senate right now that I thought would help us. It will extend another 20 weeks of unemployment insurance to those losing coverage. Except...it will cover those who lose their coverage by December 31, 2009. Guess when I lose coverage? Yup, second week in January 2010. Awesome. There is some talk of getting the date extended as soon as this extension passes, but at the moment, no 20 weeks for us.

There are unemployment advocacy groups looking for people to speak to the media about the need for the extension to cover those losing their benefits after December. I am thinking about saying I would do it, because I think I have a sympathetic story, but I don't really like public speaking. But at the same time, I have a good story: I lost my job six days back from maternity leave with a three month old baby and a graduate student wife who I was helping put through school. Now X is on Medicaid and WIC and I got fired 10 days too late to keep getting unemployment past January. Would it have killed my former employer to downsize me 11 days earlier? Oh wait, it would have, because I would have still been on maternity leave and it would have been illegal. Sigh.

2 comments:

GIsen said...

Darlin your story has become such a familiar one these days. And i sincerely hope your friends in your city are doing more than giving you words or blahzee attitudes about your situation. As another blogger said http://arcanematters.blogspot.com/2009/10/best-piece-of-advice-i-have-to-offer.html those who are in difficult situations don't needs words. "We need you to do something."

As you have so pain stakingly found out welfare is not the answer to everything. And honestly why should any of us rely on a state government that doesn't even know us to help us through the trying times.

There was a time when a neighbor would throw a few extra things in her grocery basket for the family down the road who didn't have enough to eat. Offer to babysit for free to give a couple/mother some down time to collect herself. Pay *a* bill here or there. Make an extra pie to drop off at the cat ladies house from church. Relay job leads or give referrals http://creatingmotherhood.com/2009/11/03/and-sometimes-when-you-toss-out-giant-wishes-into-the-universe-they-come-true/
.And I could go on and on.

We use to be a culture that took care of each other. Now we expect a governement that doesn't give a sh*t to do it because we don't give a damn about each other any more.

On a side note ...thank God you can still manage cable. The silence of a %$ apt of the unemployed could drive a person insane.Although i'm sure the cable company is making off like a bandit.

jus call me comment hog!

Kate said...

We actually have a wonderful community of people supporting us both locally and from a distance. My bad mood not withstanding, we are very fortunate in our family and friends. I actually read both blogs you referenced and really appreciated what Jennifer had to say at Arcane Matters. I know that when my brother died, so many people offered to do something if I needed anything, but the really helpful things were done without the person asking in advance.